Sunday 11 May 2008

happy mothers' day

mama has been savouring this book of late
finding your inner mama which is

a collection of essays by women
reflecting on the challenges and rewards of
motherhood
here she shares part of the introduction
penned by the editor, Eden Steinberg
which resonates deeply with her


"... if I was going to survive...
i was going to have to grow and change...
I was going to have to let go of a lot of things I felt entitled to:
uninterrupted sleep;
things going as planned;
a feeling of being in command,
the master of my circumstances.
I also saw that I was ultimately going to have
to let go of my very self-concept,
my idea of motherhood,
and my expectations of my child.
All of it had to go.
The idea of shedding...
my whole concept of motherhood...
I thought that as a mother
I would carefully mould and shape my children.
If I did my job right, my children would turn out to be
well-adjusted, loving, thoughtful, and interesting people.
As it turns out, motherhood is moulding and shaping me.
At the end of all this, I am the one who could end up
well-adjusted, loving, thoughtful, and interesting.
In different ways... our experiences as mothers
can lead us to valuable insight and transformation.
So... I respectfully suggest to all of you that,
from a certain persepctive,
your children will raise you.
That's good news, isn't it?"


Wishing you a lovely Mothers' Day!

1 Comments:

Blogger letti said...

happy mother's day, girl

10:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home